To responsibly produce the most trusted and preferred protein in the world.
A beef community dedicated to growing beef demand by producing and marketing the safest, healthiest, most delicious beef that satisfies the desires of an increasing global population while responsibly managing our livestock and natural resources.
CoreStrategies & StrategicInitiatives
Increase the BEEF DEMAND
Index measure by 2%
annually over the
next 5 years
Click image for more detail below
- Adopt Animal I.D. Traceability Systems - Secure the broad adoption of individual animal I.D. traceability system(s) across the beef community to equip the industry to effectively manage a disease outbreak while enhancing both domestic and global trust in U.S. beef and ensuring greater access to export markets. (Critical and Immediate. Conduct a feasibility study to understand the economic opportunity of opening new and expanding markets (e.g., China) and the lost opportunity in the event of an animal disease outbreak.) Critical and Immediate. Consider results of feasibility study and, if favorable, aggressively pursue the implementation of traceability system(s) to take advantage of domestic and international opportunities.
- Increase Market Access - Advocate for international trade and ultimately gain unfettered access to key export markets. (Focus on a trade agreement with Japan. Educate on the implication of a multi-country trade agreement that does not include the U.S.) Pursue bilateral agreements in those countries where U.S. beef is at a disadvantage (e.g., Japan and China).
- Promote Unique Attributes of U.S. Beef - Promote the unique attributes of U.S. beef in foreign markets (quality, safety, sustainability and nutritional value).
- Research and Innovate New Production Technologies - Assess the potential impact of a loss in key technologies and invest in necessary research to find new technologies which improve productivity, efficiency and animal well-being. (Critical and Immediate.)
- Manage the Political and Regulatory Environment - Protect the business climate for beef against legislative policies and/or agency regulations that have a negative impact on the economic health of the beef community while supporting public policy that can improve the overall business climate for the beef community.
- Ensure Beef’s Inclusion in Dietary Recommendations - Develop a comprehensive strategy to improve beef’s position as part of a healthy dietary pattern in future guidelines. (Recognize that sustainability science could play a role in future international and domestic dietary guidelines.) Work to ensure that sustainability is not part of future dietary guidelines.
- Motivate Producers and Stakeholders to engage in Poli
cy ies and Issues - Secure expertise to activate and energize beef, dairy, and veal producers and other industry stakeholders to become more engaged in beef industry policies and issues.
- Develop Crises Management Plans - Annually assess key vulnerabilities and update crises prevention and management plans for key risks and uncertainties facing the beef community.
- Attract, Develop and Enable the Next Generation - Identify key barriers to entry into the beef industry and develop strategies to attract, develop and enable the next generation into the beef business – particularly in the cow/calf sector.
Support Global Food Security Message - Become more proactive in discussions and engaged with organizations and efforts focused on global
- Defend Beef’s Product Identity - Defend beef’s product identity/nomenclature against competing proteins, including plant-based alternatives.
- Ensure Antibiotic Stewardship - Top Priority in this strategy. Aggressively invest in initiatives and research that ensure the responsible stewardship of antibiotics to safeguard human as well as animal health and well-being, while committing to the development and use of alternative technologies and practices. (Critical and Immediate. Prioritize the development and use of alternative technologies and practices not related to human health, with focus on human-class antibiotics.) Support research focused on understanding the potential for antimicrobial resistance and residue profiles in medically important antibiotics.
- Certify and Verify Production Practices - Facilitate the creation of a standard to certify and verify beef production and management practices to address consumer concerns. (Critical and Immediate.) Conduct feasibility study to determine opportunities and challenges for a national verification program.
- Ensure Beef Safety - Increase industry investment in beef safety and production technology research and communicate the beef community’s commitment to safe and healthy beef.
- Protect Beef’s Image - Align and collaborate with a broader group of industry partners, and other organizations, to anticipate and combat attacks against beef, beef products and today’s American agriculture that undermines consumer trust. (Capitalize on the increased influence that traditional and non-traditional [e.g., Amazon] retail and foodservice operators have on consumers.)
- Engage Beef Advocates - Engage the entire beef community (including beef, dairy and veal producers and industry partners) in building consumer
trust. A critical component must be increasing opportunities for food industry influencers to get first-hand experiences with beef producers and beef production practices. Refine ability to quantify return on investment on influencer engagement.
- Revolutionize Beef Marketing and Merchandising - Invest in efforts to revolutionize and rapidly implement innovations in the presentation of beef as a convenient and essential staple of a healthy lifestyle (new products for domestic and global markets, packaging innovations, processing innovations, merchandising innovations, preparation methods, etc.). (Critical and immediate. Revolutionize the
meat beef shopping experience.)
- Measure and Improve Our Sustainability - Collaborate with beef industry stakeholders to conduct additional sustainability research, demonstrate continuous improvement and communicate beef’s sustainability efforts and progress to key target audiences. (Critical and immediate. Aggressively communicate beef’s positive impact on the environment.)
- Research and Communicate Beef’s Nutritional Benefits - Invest in credible research to assess, document and communicate the value of beef’s nutrition and health benefits.
- Connect and Communicate Directly with Consumers - Capitalize on flexible new media technologies and innovative communication tactics to design and deliver memorable messages directly to consumers, regarding beef’s quality, safety and nutritional value and the beef community’s commitment to animal well-being and the sustainable use of natural resources.
- Improve our Product and our Production Efficiency -
Leverage industry resources and infrastructure to equip producers with the knowledge and tools needed to effectively respond to consumer-based market signals with production efficiencies and product improvements that positively impact beef’s value proposition. Respond to consumer-based market signals with production efficiencies and product improvements that positively impact beef’s value proposition.
(Revision 1, January 2017) | Revision 2, January 2018
How Do I Engage?
- July 30, 2015: Beef Industry Developes Long Range Plan - PerishableNews.com
- July 29, 2015: Long Range Plan Emphasizes Scientific Research - Cattlemen's Beef Board
- July 24, 2015: U.S. executives seek to strengthen beef industry - Global Meat
- July 23, 2015: Market Research: Who, What, When, Where, Why & How? - Cattlemen's Beef Board
- July 23, 2015: Beef Industry Develops a Long-Range Plan - RFD-TV
- July 23, 2015: Beef Checkoff realigns committee structure to meet long-range plan - Farm Progress
- July 22, 2015: Beef Industry Presents Long Range Plan - Southeast AgNET
- July 20, 2015: Beef Checkoff Adopts New Committee Structure - Cattlemen's Beef Board
- July 20, 2015: New Beef Industry Long Range Plan Establishes Roadmap for 2016-2020 - Tri-State Livestock News
- July 18, 2015: New Beef Industry Long Range Plan Establishes Roadmap for 2016-2020
- July 16, 2015: Cattle Producers Gather in Denver to Establish Direction for Industry